Please follow the steps below to successfully sell some crypto on BTC Markets. The example shown in these steps shows the process for selling Bitcoin (BTC) for Australian Dollars (AUD), but the same process applies to all of our asset pairs.
- Log into your BTC Markets account.
- Go to the buy/sell section: https://www.btcmarkets.net/trading/buysell
- To sell BTC for AUD, you need to trade the "BTC/AUD" currency pair. Select "BTC/AUD" from the dropdown box, located near the top of the page.
- Scroll down to below the chart and choose the order type by selecting one of the order tabs. The simplest order types are Market and Limit orders.
What is a market order?A market order will buy or sell immediately at the best available price. The best available prices are shown in the order book if you want to check it before ordering. To create a market order just select the "market order" option on the trading page.
What is a limit order?When you place a limit order, you decide what price you wish to sell your cryptocurrency for. Your order will then be added to the order book and will be waiting for someone to submit a matching order.
- Once you have selected the order type, navigate to the 'Sell Bitcoin' box below and fill out the volume (and price field if placing a limit order).
Volume: the quantity of the currency that you own that you want to sell.
Price: The price that you want to sell your currency for (this only applies if you have selected a Limit order).
If you want to sell all of your current holdings, you can use the Sell All quick order button to populate the field for you. The Best Sell quick order button will automatically populate the current best buy price available in the orderbook.
- Review the summary total and any associated fees.
- Once happy with your order, Press the 'sell BTC' button to submit your order request.
Please note: in some cases, a submission may not automatically result in the sale of your funds.
I have waited a long time, and my order is still not completed.
If you find that nothing happens after a long time, click on 'buy/sell' and then 'open order' and have a look to see if your order is still open: https://www.btcmarkets.net/trading/openorders Check the price to see if it's near the market average. You may have to cancel it and put in a more competitive price if you want your order matched more quickly, or place a market order to execute at the current market rate.
If you wish to withdraw your AUD funds to your bank account, please read our help article: How to Withdraw AUD