Trades are placed via the Buy/Sell tab. You can choose between a simple Buy/Sell order (market order), or tap the “Advanced” tab for more order types and market details.
Note: You will need to be logged in and have a verified account to be able to place a trade.
Step 1 - Selecting a Market
1. Tap the Buy/Sell navigation tab at the bottom of the screen, this will take you to the trading section of the app.
2. The market you are trading in is stated near the top of the screen e.g. Bitcoin (BTC/AUD). To change the market, tap this section and the change market list will pop-up.
3. Scroll the market list until you find the market you want, and then tap on that market.
4. You will be taken back to the Buy/Sell screen, and your chosen market should be stated near the top of the screen.
Step 2 - Selecting an Order Type
You can currently place three different order types in the app:
- Market Order - An order that executes at the best available bid/ask price (Simple Buy/Sell and Advanced tab).
- Limit Order - An order that is placed to execute at a specific price (Advanced tab only).
- Stop Limit Order - A limit order that is only placed when a trigger price is met or passed (Advanced tab only).
The Simple Buy/Sell screen only offers market orders, allowing users to quickly and simply enter the amount of AUD they want to spend to purchase an asset at the best available sell price, or sell an asset for the best available buy price.
If you want to place a limit or stop limit order, or a market order via asset volume, please tap the Advanced tab, and then tap the order type button to select the order type (set to Limit order as default).
Step 3 - Creating and Placing an Order
Once you have selected the market and decided on what order type you want to place, you are ready to enter the amounts and proceed with the order:
Placing a Simple Buy Order (market order):
1. Make sure the green "Buy" toggle is selected near the top of the page.
2. Enter the amount in AUD that you want to spend. Make sure that you have enough funds to place the order (see your available balance above the input field). If you need to add more money to your account, you can tap the Deposit button.
3. You will be shown an estimate of how much of the asset you will receive. If you are happy to proceed with the order, tap the Buy button at the bottom of the page.
4. Providing you have sufficient funds to place the order and it is above the minimum order amount (you will see an error pop-up if any of these are not met), you will be taken to the order review screen to check the order details.
5. If you are happy with the order details, tap the “Confirm” button at the bottom of the page.
6. Your order will be sent to our trading engine, and you will be advised of the status of your order: placed, fully matched etc.
Placing a Simple Sell Order (market order):
1. Make sure the red "Sell" toggle is selected near the top of the page.
2. Enter the volume of the asset that you want to sell. Make sure that you have enough funds to place the order (see your available balance above the input field). If you need to add more funds to your account, you can tap the Deposit to add more of the asset to your wallet.
3. You will be shown an estimate of how much you will receive from the sale of the asset. If you are happy to proceed with the order, tap the Sell button at the bottom of the page.
4. See steps 4-6 in "Placing a Simple Buy Order" above.
Placing an Advanced Buy Order:
Follow the same steps as above to place an order on the Advanced tab. depending on the order type, you may need to enter amounts in the volume, price and stop price input fields.
The Advanced Buy/Sell tab provides more detailed information about the market; showing the order books, and any open orders that you have for the selected market.
If you have any issues that our help articles do not cover, please raise a support ticket with our support team: Submit a request – BTC Markets