Two-factor authentication (or 2FA for short) provides an extra layer of security in addition to a password. It’s the second wall of protection around your account and makes it very hard for someone to gain unauthorized access to an account.
Mobile apps such as Google’s Authenticator provide users with a dynamic 6-digit PIN code that one must enter upon logging into an account or authorizing activities. A new PIN code is generated roughly every 30 seconds by the authenticator app.
What makes 2FA a strong security asset to your account is that it’s only you has access to the codes, no one else. BTC Markets strongly recommends that users enable 2FA on not only their BTC Markets account but also on their email account (such as Gmail or Outlook Online).
How to set up two-factor authentication:
- Install the Google Authenticator app on your smartphone, you can access this from the Playstore on Android or App store on Apple
- Login to your BTC Markets account using your username and password as normal
- Go to the “Account” page
- Click on “Enable Two-Factor Authentication.” A QR code will be displayed (A square black and white barcode)
- Open the Google Authenticator app on your smartphone
- Press “Add” (usually a small coloured circle with a + symbol in the centre)
- Select “Scan a barcode”
- Point your smartphone camera at the QR code on the screen (it looks a bit like a square barcode). Align the box with the QR code as well as possible
- Once the app has scanned the QR code successfully, a six-digit number will appear in the app with the description BTCMarkets, followed by your email address in brackets
- Enter the six-digit code into the “Two-Factor Code:” field under the QR code, then click the “Activate Two-Factor” button.
- A popup will show on the screen with a secret code. Please write down this code on a piece of paper and keep it safe somewhere offline. Should you lose or damage your smartphone, this code will help you regain access to your account.
- Click on the checkbox to confirm that you have stored a copy of your secret key offline in a safe place.
- Click the “Okay” button
- Your Google Authenticator app will now generate your 6 digit access codes. You will have to input the correct 6 digit code each time you log into your BTCmarkets account, this code is time-sensitive and you will need to input it before it changes.
- Congratulations! You have now successfully activated Two-Factor Authentication, and made your account far more secure. Thank you for taking this step to further secure your account